Norway and Spitsbergen - Hurtigruten's Sportsman's Route
Spring in the Fjords
Join us for a very special “Arctic spring Norway” expedition cruise to explore Norway’s 63,000 mile-long coastline along our historic Sportsman’s Route!
Local Knowledge for a Richer Experience
No one knows Norway’s coast better than Hurtigruten. MS Spitsbergen and crew share that experience when taking you to amazing Geirgangerfjord and seldom-visited smaller ports. We use our local knowledge to deliver an authentic coastal experience that no other Norwegian cruise line can match.
Our expedition team will look for great opportunities to take you kayaking, walking and hiking. See iconic landmarks on this special Norwegian coastal cruise and explore some of the country´s hidden treasures.
After exhilarating experiences along the Norwegian coast, MS Spitsbergen sails towards the Arctic wilderness of Svalbard. If conditions allow, we will attempt a landing at Bjørnøya to scout for rich wildlife. Our expedition cruise ends in the fascinating town of Longyearbyen.
- Sail on an epic cruise from Norway’s spectacular fjords to Arctic Svalbard
- Visit places far off the beaten track
- Experience Norwegian spring in the south and winter in the north
- Explore coastal communities few others visit
- Hurtigruten expeditioncruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer ship to airport in Longyearbyen
- Coach-class flight from Longyearbyen to Oslo
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking and hiking (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
Beautiful Bergen - Bergen - Embarkation
Explore Bergen’s historic harbor area, fronted by wooden houses of Bryggen dating back as far as the 1300s. Stroll through the port city’s narrow alleyways or take a funicular ride to the summit of Mount Fløyen before boarding MS Spitsbergen..
Værlandet - Værlandet - Full Day
Værlandet is a small island group north of Sognefjorden and home to a robust fishing community. You’ll get the chance to experience Norwegian “friluftsliv” (outdoor life) here, with many hikiing options. Perhaps you’d like to climb 1,578 ft high Mt. Alden for the stunning view.
Museum, hike options, bike rental (2 hrs)
Stretch your legs on the small islands of Værlandet & Bulandet by hiking or walking around the village or take a bike around the island on your own. You can also learn more about the area´s cultural history at the local museum.
Geiranger & Art Nouveau Ålesund - Geiranger & Ålesund
We then spend the afternoon in lovley Ålesund, rebuilt in the Art Nouveau style after a disastrous fire in 1904. Visit the Art Nouveau Center or walk up Aksla Mountain (for unforgettable views!).
Art Nouveau Walk (1 hr 30)
Distinguished by its spires, towers and highly detailed ornamentation, Ålesund is renowned across the world for beautiful Art Nouveau architecture. A devastating fire burned much of the city to the ground in 1904, allowing the entire town to be rebuilt in the fashionable style of the time, Art Nouveau. Your tour of Ålesund will begin on the pier, where you will be met by a guide who will take you on a pleasant walk through the streets of this enchanting town. Along the way you will pass the picturesque fishing port of Brosundet, the special Apotekertorget square, Jugendstilsenteret, the national centre for Art Nouveau and the beautifully decorated main street.
Åndalsnes - Åndalsnes - Full Day
We will spend a full day in Åndalsnes, set at the foot of spectacular mountains. The Trollstigen mountain road and Vermafossen waterfall are both popular attractions here.
Trollstigen Road and Trollveggen Visitor Centre Panorama Tour (4 hrs)
Embark on an adventurous bus trip on the Trollstigen to the Trollveggen Visitor Centre where you can enjoy a guided tour. What makes this route so spectacular are its many hairpin bends, making it one of the most popular tourist roads in Norway. At Trollveggen Visitor Centre, you view the highest mountain wall in Europe through panoramic windows.
Life in Remote Beauty - Frøya - Half Day
Located off the coast of Trøndelag, the Frøya Islands are home to around 4,200 people who are proud of the fantastic outdoor life of their islands as well as their thriving coastal culture.
Concert in Culture House (1 hr)
Visit the island of Frøya to enjoy raw nature, wildlife and a very special concert by a local men’s choir at the culture house. Frøya is known for being a fisherman’s heaven. After enjoying the wildlife and maybe learning a thing or two about the island’s fisheries, you’ll be ready to enjoy this beautiful concert.
Further West - Værøy - Full Day
Værøy is a small island in the western part of Lofoten with only 780 inhabitants, nearly half of whom work in the fishing industry. Take a walk around this very special island rich in history and scenic views.
Idyllic Reine - Reine - Full Day
A true gem of Lofoten, Reine is the iconic Norwegian fishing village. Its beauty has inspired artists since the 1880s. Traditional fisherman’s cottages (rorbuer) perch on stilts above the water’s edge with a backdrop of steep granite peaks. Take your time here to soak in the serenity.
Fishing Museum in Å (2 hrs)
Enjoy a scenic bus ride through spectacular Lofoten that takes you all the way to the where the road ends at Å. Visit the fishing museum to see and hear the story of Å - one of the best-preserved fishing villages in northern Norway. You are guided through the adventures of Lofoten’s fisheries, and told fascinating stories about vagabonds and local heroes of the past.
The Capital of Lofoten - Svolvær - Full Day
At the heart of Lofoten is the picturesque town of Svolvær - a fishing village where age-old maritime traditions are still practiced. The harbor area is a great place to stroll around and admire the fishing boats, or maybe take a hike into the nearby mountains.
Fiskeværsvandring (1 hr)
This cultural walk takes in the history of fisheries, merchants, and modern sights in the centre of Svolvaer. This is the perfect introduction to fascinating tales of the harsh life of Arctic Norway. During our 3km cultural walk, we make several stops. We reach Svinoya to gather under the fish racks and sample a taste of stockfish while learning about the importance of this local product dating as far back as 1,000 years ago.
An Arctic Paradise - Sommarøy - Full Day
Sommarøy is a group of small islands with lovely white sand beaches and a lively fishing village. Browse the small shops for handicrafts and note the “Kaillkråa” (gentlemen’s corner) where the husbands of busy wives are parked on shopping days.
Rock Carvings - Alta - Full Day
Alta’s history dates back more than 5,200 years, based on the UNESCO-listed rock carvings found nearby. We recommend walking up to the top of Komsafjellet – 700 ft above sea level – for a spectacular view over the town and fjord.
Sami Concert in the Nordlys Cathedral (1 hr)
Join us on a very special tour to enjoy a concert by the Sami band, Máret, in the Northern Lights Cathedral at Alta. The cathedral´s architecture and acoustics are the perfect fit for renowned Sami artists, Marit Hætta Øverli and Klemet Anders Buljo, to perform their ambient style of music. Sit back, relax and enjoy.
North Cape Cliff - Hornvika, Skarsvåg & Gjesvær
Early in the morning, we sail past the famous North Cape cliff. You can choose from two optional activities here - a hike up the steep path from Hornvika, or bus trip from Skarsvåg to the top of the cape. The ship continues to Gjesvær, where the excursion participants re-board.
North Cape (3 hrs 30)
Cross the 71st parallel and enjoy magnificent landscapes on a trip to North Cape, one of the most northernmost points in Europe. North Cape cliff rises 307 meters above the Arctic Ocean. See an impressive 180° panoramic film about the region in North Cape Hall, where you can also visit a souvenir shop, small chapel and a Thai Museum.
Towards Svalbard - At sea
Spend this day at sea preparing yourself before the last part of our adventure, Svalbard. The expedition team will present lectures in the Science Center, or you can just relax by the window with a book and enjoy being at sea.
Isolated Habitat - Bjørnøya - Full Day
This isolated island hosts arguably the largest concentration of sea birds in the Northern Hemisphere. Weather conditions will determine if we can attempt to go ashore on this ruggedly beautiful island.
End of the Expedition - Longyearbyen - Disembarkation
Our adventure ends in the Arctic frontier town of Longyearbyen, where we transfer you to the airport for your flight to Oslo.